Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Knitting Retreat

Well, I may as well fess up. I recently got back from a knitting retreat. I tried to cover it as Knitting Camp (which sounds a little more cool), but there's no way around it. Imagine telling my boss I need a day off to go to a knitting retreat. Let's just say I needed a mental health day. And I think I might need another mental health day when my friends have a yarn intervention for me. God lord, how much yarn can one person have?!?

So there were 7 of us at said "camp". We knit, we drank, we ate, then we knit some more (that's K1, d2tog (drink 2 together)). Then we drank some more. It's a wonder anyone could recognize what we were trying to make. Which, by the way, was a beautiful Celtic cable pillow, with designer/instructor Melissa Leapman, who had a special way of drawing knitting needles that riled up the room full of menopausal women. (Yikes, something else to look forward to.)

But I digress...

"Camp" was help at a place called Marconi Conference Center, on Tomales Bay. It was absolutely lovely out there. I never knew the place existed and it was the perfect spot for a relaxing weekend.

I had always been fearful of knitting cables. They look so beautiful and therefore difficult. I was pleasantly surprised how easy they really are. (Yes, everyone is still getting a scarf for Christmas, only it will have cables now.) Melissa was a great teacher and made the whole process fun. We met some wonderful folks from all over the Bay Area, and saw some amazing pieces. I wonder how some of them have so much time to knit.

So, I've already signed up for "camp" for next year. Sally Melville and, um, someone else who's name escapes me at the moment, are going to be the instructors. looking forward to it.

No comments: